Start a tiny book club.
I work with a woman who is almost 70 yrs old. She has lupus and struggles with pain and a slew of medical problems on a daily basis. One of these medical issues affects her vision and she’s legally blind in one eye, and had the lens of the other one replaced twice.
When she was younger she absolutely loved reading, but hasn’t been able to do much of it for years (audiobooks just aren’t the same for her she says). For a long time she just gave up on ever being able to enjoy books like she used to, but then one Christmas her son (the doctor, as she never fails to mention :P) bought her a Kindle.
At first she was dubious about the whole thing. A little unsure of the technology, but she’s not one of those people who is afraid of new things and she really began to love it.
What completely sold her on it was the ability to adjust the print size. Being visually impaired later in life is a hardship that I’m not sure how I would handle, but armed with her Kindle, it is like she’s been reintroduced to an old friend.
So, me being a Creative Writing and English major, she always wants to talk to me about books, and I mean talk. We have these discussions about plot and characterization and story structure that remind me of being in school again (it’s a warm and fuzzy feeling, I loved uni). She has told me, “I always ask what books you’ve been reading because I respect your taste I in literature.” (Oh, my god, my ego can’t handle it :D)
Usually I just tell her about books that I’ve read and enjoyed, and she reads them and we talk about them some when she’s finished them, but I decided to try something different this time.
I suggested a book by one of my absolute favorite authors, Maragaret Atwood. It was actually one that I hadn’t read yet. “The Blind Assassin.” She’s got a head start on me, I just downloaded it, but haven’t started it (I’ve been reading Hannibal Fanfic, and its been completely consuming me, don’t judge, we all have that one thing). But I’m going to start it tomorrow, and we will talk about it, and she will find faults and things she loves about it, and I will blindly defend my favorite author ever and share things I love as well.
It’s our tiny book club. Start one, you’ll connect with someone you thought you had nothing in common with.
59 Notes/ Hide
- theeimpress likes this
- untamedlust reblogged this from fuckyeahreading
- fucktehworld likes this
- watchmenotgiveafuck reblogged this from electricitywoman
- notjessatall reblogged this from kammartinez
- blessedsisyphus likes this
- rosareads likes this
- rosalafae likes this
- pencilwars reblogged this from fuckyeahreading
- pushinguppaperbacks reblogged this from fuckyeahreading
- allthatjazzm likes this
- bookaddictkatie likes this
- maraudingforears reblogged this from fuckyeahreading and added:
- midnightinmymindpalace likes this
- somepursuehappiness reblogged this from fuckyeahreading
- winters-discontent likes this
- bethofbells likes this
- tight-roped likes this
- nathansfishbowl likes this
- datagoddess likes this
- strazzybooks likes this
- plainextraordinary reblogged this from fuckyeahreading
- nightreader likes this
- stanshall likes this
- zmeyette likes this
- intheshelf reblogged this from fuckyeahreading
- a1ysonwonderland likes this
- anoceanofvioletsinbloom likes this
- letmereadinpeace likes this
- notjessatall likes this
- electricitywoman reblogged this from fuckyeahreading
- kammartinez reblogged this from fuckyeahreading
- readingwolfminda reblogged this from bethofbells and added:
- botanyandbooks likes this
- aliceincyberland likes this
- soaringsoon likes this
- true-antagonist likes this
- middlemarchofthepenguins likes this
- asongforjuliet likes this
- feelthemoonshine likes this
- vorfrevde likes this
- seasofsolidearth reblogged this from fuckyeahreading
- eaclib likes this
- lifeofaveggie likes this
- medinaquirin likes this
- awkwardmenagerie reblogged this from fuckyeahreading
- moral-disorder likes this
- seastarved reblogged this from fuckyeahreading
- vomitdemomo likes this